Civic leaders Tom Sourlis and Sue Eleuterio have generously offered to match all donations to the Food Bank of Northwest Indiana, dollar for dollar, during the month of April—up to $125,000. This gesture of compassion and support comes as we increase our emergency relief efforts to address the consistently growing need in our community amid the COVID-19 crisis. Will you help us take full advantage of the match to support the increased immediate costs associated with acquiring and distributing food to people in need in OUR community? See our progress on the tree to the left.
Feeding America forecasts that shelter-in-place orders, coupled with lost wages, school closings, illness and isolation, will threaten the food security of thousands more neighbors in our Region. Last week alone, there was a record number 146,000 claims for unemployment in Indiana, more than 5 times the previous record. With the stay-at home order extended, thousands of our neighbors are uncertain when they can return to work. We are bracing for a significant surge in people turning to the Food Bank of Northwest Indiana for the first time ever.
The Food Bank continues to escalate our COVID-19 response to ensure that no one goes hungry during this crisis, and that food is one less worry for individuals and families:
- We are working in close coordination with the State of Indiana, local governments, municipalities, and other partners to stay ahead of the need and supply resources where they are needed most.
- We are increasing our Drive Thru Mobile Market food distributions from 2 days a week to 6 days a week.
- We are scheduling specific Drive Thru Mobile Market food distributions for unemployed and displaced workers.
- We are scheduling weekly grocery home deliveries to seniors who are disabled, without family, or immuno-compromised.
- We are in daily contact with our network of 111+ partner agencies to keep them supplied with food and staffed with volunteers
- We have hired 3 temporary staff to help with the increased capacity
- We are working with the Indiana National Guard to minimize the use of volunteers and staff in certain high risk roles.
- We are implementing measures to keep clients and staff safe by transitioning to prepackaged food boxes.
- And so much more.
We are in the midst of an unprecedented time, but will get through it on the strength of our community. The Food Bank of Northwest Indiana is not only offering nourishing food, but also hope to those who need it most. Join this community effort with a gift of any amount to support our response to the increasing need caused by COVID-19. Every $1 you send today will be doubled, providing 6 nourishing meals. Give what you can. Tom and Sue will match it. Donate Now
Donations can also be mailed to: Food Bank of NWI, Attn: 911, 6490 Broadway, Merrillville, 46410. Please add “911” in the memo/comments section.