The Food Bank of Northwest Indiana relies on volunteers to help us address hunger in our community on a daily basis. Each year, more than 4,000 individuals, families, and groups, share their time and talents to assist with our hunger relief efforts throughout Lake and Porter Counties. Each volunteer experience is unique and fulfilling for our volunteers, and makes a tremendous difference in the lives of the families we serve. The Food Bank of Northwest Indiana offers a number of dynamic and flexible volunteer opportunities for individuals or groups. We welcome ages as young as 8 years and older. For every 5 children, at least 1 adult must be present. Regular volunteer shifts are available Monday – Friday (9am – 3pm). Below is a list of our current volunteer opportunities. Due to an abundance of caution, please follow the below COVID-19 guidelines when volunteering with the Food Bank of Northwest Indiana:
- If individual is experiencing any symptoms of illness, return date is 10-days after being symptom-free (no fever, sore throat, headache, runny nose, etc.)
- If individual tested positive for COVID-19, return date is 14-days after a negative COVID-19 test result.
- If individual was a direct exposure to someone who tested positive for COVID-19, return date is 14-days after last interaction with the affected individual.
For Court Order Service Requests, Please Click Here.
CURRENT VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Packing & Sorting (Sign Up Below)
Assist with packing food boxes and sorting grocery items for our food assistance programs. This includes:
- Backpacks for Kids – Assisting with the assembling of meal bags for children relying on weekend support on the weekends and during school breaks. The Food Bank of Northwest Indiana provides approximately 300 backpacks weekly.
- Senior Food Boxes – Assisting with the assembling of approximately 50 pounds of shelf stable food for seniors on a fixed income. The Food Bank of Northwest Indiana provides approximately 1500 senior boxes each month.
- Sorting Food Drive – Assisting with the sorting, inspecting, and packing of food drive items received from the community. These are are assembled and distributed to partner agencies to assist with their hunger relief efforts.
Mobile Market Food Distributions (Sign Up Below)
Assisting with the setup and distribution of food during our weekly mobile market distributions, taking place Monday through Saturday, in Lake & Porter Counties.
Senior Grocery Delivery Drivers (Sign Up Below)
Assisting with the delivery of groceries to seniors who are disabled, high risk, or immuno-compromised. Deliveries are safe and social distanced, and take place the last week of every month, Tuesday through Saturday, 9am – 12pm, in Lake & Porter Counties. Pick up is located at the Food Bank of Northwest Indiana (6490 Broadway, Merrillville), at 9am on the day of delivery.
RailCats Concessions (Sign Up Below)
Join our team of volunteers to help the Food Bank of Northwest Indiana at the Gary SouthShore RailCats games. Volunteers will manage the home plate concession stand for 15 games, May – August. A percentage of the proceeds will be donated to the Food Bank. Ages 16 and older welcome. All volunteers are required to get a “Food & Beverage Handlers Card from the Gary Health Department. Before signing up, please review the Volunteer Information Sheet.
Administrative Assistance/Event Support (Sign Up Below)
Assisting with office and event tasks, including filing, organizing, correspondence, and more. Short-term and long-term opportunities are available.
Facility Improvement & Cleaning Projects (Sign Up Below)
Assist in our efforts to maintain a clean and safe environment to store food product for distribution to the community. This includes cleaning, organizing, and improving our warehouse, facility, and grounds. Projects may include: deep cleaning storage areas, painting newly placed drywall, painting traffic lines on the warehouse floor, landscape beautification, organizing event supplies, etc. Ages 16 and older are welcome. The first project begins Saturday, April 24th, 9a – 2p, and includes painting and other small tasks.
Lend A Hand From Home – Recognition Phone Calls (Sign Up Below)
Lend a hand from home and assist the Food Bank of Northwest Indiana by making phone calls to recognize our supporters. You provide the phone and tone of gratitude, and we’ll provide the rest!
We also have opportunities for individuals interested in the following: Special Events Committee and Community Service Hours. To find out more, please contact Sarah Barnard, Volunteer Coordinator: 219.980.1777, ext 316 or email@example.com.